Friday, October 19, 2012

iPad ideas for Math and Science in the Upper School



As we are getting ready to implement sets of 10 iPads in some of our US Math and Science classes over the next few weeks, I thought it would be interesting to share a few resources.  A few 6th graders caught me shopping for Apps in the Media Center this morning, which reinforces their belief (and mine) that I have the best job in the school :)

First, I found a presentation titled "Introduction to iPads in Middle School" by a teacher named Gary Toews. I think it helps frame how to think about best using this mobile technology in your classrooms.

Not everything in the presentation lines up with how we will run things at HTS.  Gary is a big fan of Dropbox for sharing documents. I think Google Drive will make more sense for our students because they already have Google accounts set up (one less password to remember).

We'll also need to think about how best to print documents in the Upper School - more on this will follow...
 


Next, I would like to share an article titled "5 Critical Mistakes Schools Make with iPads (and how to correct them)" from the edudemic website.  I would love to be able to have an entire meeting devoted to addressing the concerns raised in this article, but as time is always a bit short, if you have a chance to read it, I'd love to discuss it at any time.

And now for my App shopping project.  If the math and science nerds in the crowd would like to peruse the following sites and suggest any Apps that you'd like us to purchase to compliment current topics, please let me know:

First, I found a resource for free Secondary School Math Apps: http://www.symbaloo.com/mix/secondarymathematics


And some great ideas for Middle School Science Apps can be found on iear.org:
http://www.iear.org/iear/2010/7/26/ipads-in-science-by-al-gonzalez.html




This list of "100 Apps Perfect for Middle School" deserves a look as well:
http://www.fluency21.com/blogpost.cfm?blogID=2402




No comments:

Post a Comment